Thursday, September 25, 2008

CMC and online dating ( Ch. 11)

After reading about CMC and how it affects relationships when it comes to online dating, I decided to kind of compare the theory to my friend's online dating experience. With face-to-face communication, it gives a relationship a chance to develop vivid interpretations of each party and form a more personal connection. One reason why Walther may feel that face-to-face relationships build faster is because these people have the ability to form these personal relationships with each other. With online communication it makes sense why someone would be able to develop a relationship at a because all of the nonverbal cues are missing. People have to wait to form their personal relationship because they are waiting on e-mail or instant messaging communication. They cannot develop interpersonal impressions until they have all of the information they need. One of my girlfriends recently tried out e-Harmony to find a romantic connection with someone, she agreed with Walther's theory. She found that when she would go on actual dates with men, it was a lot easier to communicate with them and form a certain impression of them after long conversation. Information was passed a lot easier and quicker. However, when she would communciate with men through e-Harmony, she found that it was a lot harder to form a cerain impression about these men just based on the information they gave her. She had to continually communicate with them in order to get the information she needed in order to form an impression and decide if she wanted to continue in the relationship or not. I do not feel that either form of communication is better. It does seem that they both help relationships develop, just at different rates.

2 comments:

pirateprincess said...

I've had the complete opposite experience with online dating. Many years ago I used to date online. I actually found it easier to communicate. Personal information flowed more quickly and I felt a closer "bond" because we talked so much. In person, I'm not sure if we would have revealed so much so fast. But online, we would have these hour long conversations that would have never happened face to face. I had the same experience over the phone as well. I would be on the phone with a boyfriend for hours and hours. In person, it was less about communication and more about just hanging out. I've found it much easier to get information out online than in person. Nonverbal cues aside, online dating can develop into an extremely personal and deep connection.

marikamania said...

I think that it is different for everyone, for me honestly I have never attempted online relationships. I think that for some people it is easier for them to open up online because they don't have the fear of embarrassment. If the person reacts unfavorably to what they have to say they could just find someone else online and aren't likely to be emotionally hurt.
Also I think it is possible that people might make better relationships because they have nothing to do with the persons appearance, that is assuming that both people are honest with eachother.
For others I think that face to face communication is essential to relationship building.