Saturday, November 1, 2008

Spiral of Silence (Ch. 29)

I found the spiral of silence theory to be completely accurate. Society's views are forever changing. We don't really notice this until the media brings up a particular issue. An example of this could easily be the debate on gay marriage. One minute it wasn't something people thought about, and then the next minute it's all over the news. In opinion, I only really year the negative aspects of the issue more than the positive ones. I know that because of this, I personally do not share my opinions on the issue simply because sometimes I feel as if I am in the minority. This is a problem for people within society, simply because we are based on the idea of freedom of speech. People should be able to say and think what they choose, and have the freedom to voice their opinions. If they cannot do this, then they are only allowing themselves to be bullied by the media as well as others. It is either this idea, or the idea that people feel that because they are in the minority, they feel their opinions don't matter, so they conform and think like the majority. This only concerns me in the height of the upcoming election. When it comes to voting, or expressing any form of opinion, people should not feel as if they are the minority simply based on what the media feeds them. It only leads to people being silenced and their voices not being heard.

No comments: